Senator Lankford Receives Appropriations Subcommittee Assignments
WASHINGTON, DC— The powerful Senate Committee on Appropriations today named Senator James Lankford (R-OK) to five Subcommittees: Energy and Water Development; Commerce, Justice, Science; Financial Services and General Government; Labor, HHS, Education; and State, Foreign Operations.
“Membership on these Subcommittees will give Oklahoma a voice on important matters that span a wide area of federal policy,” said Lankford. “I’m ready to get to work on federal waste and spending limitations through these Subcommittees. After more than a decade of committee gridlock, I’m eager to help return regular order and fiscal responsibility to our appropriations process.”
The Senate Committee on Appropriations is the largest committee in the Senate, and is widely considered one of the most powerful Committees in Congress. The Committee produces legislation that allocates funds for the federal government on an annual basis and uses the power of the purse granted in the Constitution to conduct regular oversight through the funding process. The last Oklahoman to serve on the Senate Committee on Appropriations was Senator Don Nickles, from the 100th through the 103rd Congress (1987-1995).
In addition to serving on Appropriations, Lankford sits on the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, the Select Committee on Intelligence, and the Committee on Indian Affairs. He was recently named Chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Subcommittee on Regulatory Affairs and Federal Management, and also serves on the Senate Republican Whip Team for the 114th Congress.
- Energy and Water Development Subcommittee: Department of Energy, Civil Corps of Engineers, and other relevant offices.
- Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Subcommittee: Department of Commerce, Department of Justice, NASA, and other relevant offices.
- Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee: some Treasury Department offices, Securities and Exchange Commission, Office of Management and Budget, Internal Revenue Service, and other relevant offices.
- Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies Subcommittee: Department of Labor, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Education, National Institutes of Health, Social Security Administration, and other relevant offices.
- State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Subcommittee: Department of State, some Treasury Department offices, and other relevant offices.