This webpage serves as a resource of information for current issues being debated in the United States Senate, as well as information about where Senator James Lankford stands on the issue. This webpage will be updated on a regular basis as the Senate debates important topics.
Supreme Court Nomination of Brett Kavanaugh:
- No matter if you’re conservative, moderate, progressive, or liberal, you should want a fair justice who upholds the Constitution and interprets the law fairly.
- Judge Brett Kavanaugh deserves a fair confirmation process.
- Senator Lankford believes that any Supreme Court Justice must be able to put his or her personal beliefs aside and apply the law as it is written.
- CLICK HERE to view a media interview about Judge Kavanaugh.
Migrant Family Separation at the Border:
- This is a very complicated matter. It will not be solved quickly. Senator Lankford believes it should be U.S. policy to keep families together as much as possible.
- A policy known as the Flores Settlement Agreement led to the Departments of Homeland Security or Justice to be unable to keep children in custody with their parents for an extended period of time IF the parents are charged with a crime for crossing the border illegally. This agreement is the result of the 1997 Flores v. Reno court case, and subsequent interpretations by federal courts, about how to handle Unaccompanied Alien Children and family units who have crossed our border illegally.
- On June 19, Senator Lankford sent a letter to U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions calling for a halt of family separation while Congress works on a legislative fix.
- On June 20, Senator Lankford co-sponsored a bill (the Keep Families Together and Enforce the Law Act) that would keep families together while ensuring the integrity and enforceability of our immigration laws. I appreciate that the President took action with an Executive Order, but I believe that legislation is still needed to withstand legal criticism, and also codify this policy into permanent law.
- Throughout 2017, the President and the Congress made tax reform a priority.
- On November 9, 2017 the Senate Republican leadership also introduced a tax reform proposal (Tax Cuts & Jobs Act). The Senate passed an amended version of this bill on December 2, 2017. CLICK HERE to read Senator Lankford's statement in support of the bill.
- On December 15, a joint House-Senate Conference Committee merged the two bills. CLICK HERE to read a summary of the Senate-House tax conference bill.
- On December 19, the House passed the Senate-House tax conference bill, and the Senate passed it on December 20. CLICK HERE to read Senator Lankford's statement. CLICK HERE to view a special edition e-newsletter and video about the tax bill from Senator Lankford.